From Oxon to Bucks

Tales of a housewife, mother of three no longer in Oxfordshire (Oxon), now in Buckinghamshire (Bucks).

My Photo
Name:
Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

04 May 2006

Driving Miss Gowen


...or Miss Gowen driving.

Matthew's company finally got back to him with the authorisation for me to drive his car. So he thinks I should start practicing (probably because he's sick of driving me everywhere). He made me drive home from my orthodontist appointment in Kiddlington, which isn't just the next town over. I agreed on one condition, that I could avoid the scary Oxford roundabout.

I didn't do so well. It felt like I had lost all depth perception being on the other side of the car! It's difficult looking over your left shoulder to reverse and shifting gears with the other hand. I think Matthew was inching away from his side because he kept saying, "would you move over, you're going to hit the curb!" And I did. I hit the curb! I don't think the person driving the BMW behind was too impressed with my driving either. Even though I was going about 20 mph below the speed limit, he kept his distance. But there was no way I was going to drive 60 mph down that country road.

It felt like it was my very first time driving again. I was really nervous. Every time we came to a roundabout, I said "what do I do, what do I do?" I hated every minute of it. It felt like I was driving a tank on a sidewalk!

I thought I was determined that I could do this, so I took the car myself that night to my friend's in town. (I hope no one saw me trying to reverse in that drive, you would have thought I was driving a tank!) But now that I think about it, I don't want to drive. I never liked it to begin with and it's just too difficult here. I know Americans drive here all the time on holiday. But not me, I'll hit something! The roads are too damn small and people drive too damn fast for me.

For now I think I'll let Matthew do the driving. It's good having a chauffeur.

6 Comments:

Blogger Seagor said...

If you do decide to drive again, watch out for those u-turns! That's where I had problems on the wrong side of the road.

17 May, 2006 22:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not going to drive on the wrong side of the road. One less thing for me to worry about. (By the way, I doubt I could do it either.)

18 May, 2006 12:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe me Jill you MUST drive here. The problem is that you started too big, you should have taken a short drive around where you live and then gone a bit further every time, please don't stop. It's important for your independence. If you have a bad arguement with Matthew one day, how can you grab the car keys and storm off!!!!!!

18 May, 2006 20:03  
Blogger Seagor said...

I've been in a car with Matthew driving...that can't possibly be safer than you driving!

18 May, 2006 22:46  
Blogger Winter Park Fords said...

I didn't drive for 4 years in Costa Rica, and they drive on the SAME side of the street. Well, "street" doesn't quite cover the cowpaths on the side of a mountain you drive on here. I waited until I was ready and now I'm fine and drive everywhere. I found it easier to drive without Jim in the car too.

22 May, 2006 21:25  
Blogger Jill said...

Yes, it might be easier without "someone" shouting at me for stalling the car or hitting the curb.

23 May, 2006 07:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home